How do I collect my money?

After the judge hears both sides, the court will issue a judgment or dismiss the case. If the plaintiff wins, the judge will order the defendant to pay a certain amount for the claim, as well as the costs the plaintiff spent to bring the case and any interest on the amount owed. Once the judgment is issued, the clerk will enter it into the civil docket of the court and will provide a certified copy of the judgment to the prevailing party for no additional cost.

Even if you have a judgment, it does not necessarily mean that you will be paid. The Small Claims Court does not collect the judgment for you. If the debtor does not pay right away, the court may order a payment plan. If the losing party fails to pay, the judge may increase the amount of the judgment to cover the cost of enforcing the judgment. If the judgment remains unpaid, you may seek to enforce the judgment through the collection process, which could include garnishing the defendant's wages or bank accounts; or seeking to obtain the personal property of the debtor. Remember, the court clerks cannot give you legal advice so you may need the assistance of an attorney or collection agency, whose fees may be paid by the debtor.

When the judgment is paid in full you must send written notice to the District Court that the judgment has been satisfied and paid, or to the Superior Court if the judgment has been transcribed.

Show All Answers

1. Who can be sued?
2. How much does it cost?
3. How do I get started?
4. How does the notice get served?
5. What if we settle?
6. How do I prepare for the trial?
7. What happens at the trial?
8. What happens if my opponent does not appear for the trial?
9. How do I collect my money?
10. Can you appeal a case if you lose?