Can you appeal a case if you lose?

The party who files a claim or counterclaim cannot appeal unless the amount claimed exceeds $1,000. No party may appeal a judgment where the amount claimed is less than $250. If an appeal is taken to the Superior Court, the appealing party is required to follow the procedures set out in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 12.36. The following steps must be taken within 30 days of the entry of the judgment:

  • Prepare a written Notice of Appeal and file it with the District Court.
  • Serve a copy of that notice to the other parties, and file an Acknowledgment or Affidavit of Service in District Court.
  • Pay to the District Court a $40 appeal preparation fee.
  • Deposit at the District Court the $230 Superior Court filing fee either in cash, money order, or cashier's check payable to the Clerk of the Superior Court. There may be additional fees that you will need to pay as set forth by local court rule.
  • You are also required to post a bond in the sum equal to twice the amount of the judgment and costs, or twice the amount in controversy, whichever is greater, (cash or surety) at the District Court.

When the appeal and bond are transferred to Superior Court, the appellant (person appealing the decision) may request the Superior Court suspend enforcement of the judgment until after the appeal is heard.

Within 14 days of filing the Notice of Appeal, the District Court clerk will transmit the court record to the Superior Court who will assign a new number and notify the District Court. The District Court clerk will advise the appellant of that number, and the appellant must then contact Franklin County Superior Court for further instructions.

Once the judgment has been appealed to the Superior Court, then enforcement of any judgment entered in the case will be handled in Superior Court in the same manner as any other Superior Court judgment.

Show All Answers

1. Who can be sued?
2. How much does it cost?
3. How do I get started?
4. How does the notice get served?
5. What if we settle?
6. How do I prepare for the trial?
7. What happens at the trial?
8. What happens if my opponent does not appear for the trial?
9. How do I collect my money?
10. Can you appeal a case if you lose?