What is a protection order? How can I get one?

A protection order is an order that prohibits the respondent from contacting you. There are several kinds of civil protection orders: Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Restraining, Anti-Harassment and Vulnerable Adults. You can apply for a protection order at the clerk's office for District or Superior Court. There may or may not be a charge to obtain a protection order. For more information, contact the Victim/Witness Unit at 509-545-3543, or call the Superior Court Clerk's Office at 509-545-3525 or District Court Clerk's Office at 509-545-2131. There are also criminal No Contact Orders that the prosecutor may enter in criminal cases. If you would like a criminal no-contact order, contact the Victim/Witness Unit at 509-545-3543.

Show All Answers

1. Will I have to testify?
2. Can I drop the charges?
3. I have bills as a result of this crime. How can I get them paid?
4. I have been threatened or contacted by the defendant. What can I do?
5. An attorney or investigator has been contacting me about the case. Do I have to talk to them?
6. I gave a statement to law enforcement. Why do I have to be interviewed?
7. Can someone attend the interview with me?
8. Will the defendant go to prison or jail?
9. Can I contact the defendant?
10. How can I be notified if the defendant is released from jail?
11. How could the defendant plead "not guilty?" I saw him do it/He confessed.
12. Can I obtain restitution for things such as pain, suffering, and mental anguish?
13. What is a protection order? How can I get one?
14. How do I know when and where to go to court?