The Franklin County Courthouse was built in 1912 and dedicated on April 13, 1913. The courthouse is a neo-classical building and many architects working in this style referenced the classical buildings of Rome and Greece. V is actually a U in Latin, which, of course, was the language of ancient Rome. Its application to a 20th-century building is a bit of an affectation, but architects would apply this as a way to reference classical buildings from antiquity. In 1978, the Franklin County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.