How Jurors Are Chosen
By law your name has been randomly selected by computer to serve as a juror in Franklin County. Potential jurors are selected randomly from a combined Voter Registration and Department of Licensing drivers' and identification card holder's list. The law requires a fair cross-section of each county's qualified residents. All jurors who serve on jury duty must meet all eligibility requirements.
Eligibility requirements for Jury Duty are:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be a resident of Franklin County
- You must be able to communicate in the English language
- If you have been convicted of a felony, your civil rights must be restored
Why Some People Summoned Several Times & Others Are Never Chosen
Because of the random selection process, some names are selected every year or so, and some never are.
JMS is a computer program that performs a random selection of jurors based on a National Institute of Standards and Technology algorithm. It facilitates all aspects of jury management from the creation and maintenance of a jury pool, to panel creation, and jury selection. The program also generates the information needed to provide complete and accurate payment for service.